Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Impact Tomorrow Today - 85th AJLI Conference

I just spent an amazing week in Boston at the Association of Junior Leagues International (AJLI) Conference. It started out as an intimidating idea – going to a League event with our President, President Elect, and President Elect – Elect (yes, I know it sounds funny but those are their titles). However, I quickly found my place amongst great friends with similar interests. I was inspired by the more than 700 attendees, I absolutely loved my time Daniela, Stephanie, and Leslie (the other Greensboro girls), and I can’t wait to do more – more to make Our League, and Our Community stronger…

Highlights from the week:

- Lunch with former Ambassador to Austria Swanee Hunt; an amazing woman who exudes true Southern charm mixed with a powerful feminist flare. I am reading her book Half-Life of a Zealot right now and thoroughly enjoying it.
- The beginnings of a signature project that our League is going to start. The premise centers around autism and the staggering increases we are seeing in society. Our goal is to start a series of smaller programs for autistic children and their families… Eventually we will look into the possibility of opening a school with on-grounds housing and all sorts of exciting activities.
- A public speaking class where I was one of 15 students getting drilled on both good and bad habits. I have a ways to go before I’ll ever end up on a major stage, but advice from Jenny Maxwell (with the Buckley School of Public Speaking) certainly helped with the journey.
- A fantastic workshop on Building Leadership through Service – something that’s right up my alley and definitely in lines with Junior League principals…
- Networking time with other NC leagues… Winston, High Point, Charlotte, Asheville, Raleigh, and Wilmington were all wonderful.
- An interesting course on Parliamentary Procedures… If anyone has questions about Roberts Rules, I’m your girl.
- Countless conversations about our upcoming year and ways to make it the best one yet. Daniela (our current President) is amazing; I’m certain Stephanie (the next in line) will only build upon her successes.

Thanks to all of you who elected me to be a part of this event. I sincerely appreciate the opportunity.

No comments: