Sunday, February 15, 2009

Life's Little Blessings

I stumbled upon a new job over the weekend, Poop-Sitting. Yes, I really did just use the phrase "poop-sitting" so, before going any further, let me back up a few days and explain how I was introduced to this new-found profession.

Mike and I came down to Houston late Thursday night for our 1-month old niece, Elizabeth's, baptism. Despite our late arrival, Alexandra, Duke and Courtney were awake and eager to entertain. The family excitement has not weaned since...

To give credit where credit is due, Alexandra, who turned two in September, has been Chairing the social committee. She has kept us entertained with non-stop conversation and endless amounts of energy. We have had golf lessons, gone grocery shopping, done hair and make-up, cooked, made Valentines, played cheerleader, danced, watched videos, read books and taken at least one ride on every item in her garage that has 3 wheels or more. It has been a blast. A true gift for uncle Mike and aunt Ashlie.

Unfortunately, late last night (during the cheese course of our Valentines dinner celebration) an unwanted visitor joined our group... The Big D!

My guess is that Alexandra had gone so hard that she worked her stomach into a tizzy. And, despite several "Trojan Horse" attempts at disguising crushed Imodium capsules, we were unsuccessful at sneaking anything medicated into her system.

Which brings me to today... We were all dressed and ready to head to the church. Courtney's parents had just arrived from Austin and I was downstairs emptying the memory card in my camera, making room for afternoon photographs. Un-welcomed and unannounced, the "Big D" came back. We knew in an instant that our hopes of having Big Sister at the front of the church was far-fetched; actually, it was going to be quite dangerous for anyone within a 30' radius.

This is the reason I am sitting in a quiet, almost empty house on poop-sitting duty. I hate that I am missing Elizabeth's special moment, but in an odd-kind-of way I am honored to have a niece who will let me stay by her side when life (momentarily) loses its magic.

A couple highlights from our weekend:





No comments: