Monday, November 12, 2007

Mom & Pops in C-ville

My parents just came up to visit us in Charlottesville and we had such a great weekend. On Friday we went to dinner at an Italian restaurant called Fellini’s #9… (It’s a cute little place I’ve been wanting to try around the corner from where I do yoga.) The food, atmosphere and service were all fantastic and, on top of leaving “fat and happy,” we also left with two interesting tid-bits of information: First, the owner came out of the kitchen and gave us the recipe for her olive tapenade (a restaurant-first for me; recipes are typically top secret). And two, we now know why it’s called Fellini’s #9. (Fellini was a famous Italian film producer and the name of the original restaurant. Jaclyn, owner, saw the place was for sale during a random trip to Charlottesville to visit an uncle who was getting a toe amputated. After buying it, she decided to keep the “Fellini’s” for recognition purposes, but added the # 9 to give it her own flair, and in honor nine toe uncle.) A little weird and quirky, but very Charlottesville! I guess it would be like calling a place Starry Night 1 ½…

After dinner we met up with a friend of Mike’s, Jason Allevato, and went in search of live music. Sadly the jazz club we were shooting for was closed so we re-routed to a hip tapas restaurant called Mas. Highlight of the evening was a very large waiter, dressed if full jean overalls, randomly coming up to Mike with a tiny espresso cup in-hand and telling him to wake up… I think he saw Mike yawning from across the room and thought it was very un-cool.

Mom and I woke up early Saturday morning and ventured out in search of some of Charlottesville’s best girly activities (yoga, coffee & shopping), while the boys found their way to the golf course. I couldn’t believe it when they got home (my dad limping because his legs were so sore) and said they had played 34 holes, walking 16 of them. My mom and I had just finished baking cookies and were gearing up for appetizers & wine; the guys wanted to turn on football and take a nap… Where was overall man when I needed him???

We met up with two other friends, Lucy and JJ, for dinner on Saturday and went to a place called Duners. Mike and I had heard a lot about this place (highly recommended from multiple people) and it definitely lived up to the hype! So I’ll pass on the recommendation for anyone visiting C-ville…

Sunday morning my dear hubby proved to be a trooper yet again. Dad and I thought it would be cute to dress Addie in a holiday costume and take the first Bucy family Christmas photo… Needless to say, Mike was not jumping out of his skin to go out in public, foo-foo dog and all, and take Christmas card pictures. I haven’t seen the end product yet, but it very well may end up in your mailbox… Sorry baby, but I’m sure it will give the Summiteers a good laugh!

After the quick photo shoot we all headed to the soccer fields to watch Mike’s law school team play the med school. My parents had to leave early, but you would not have believed how intense things got out there. One guy came up and pushed Mike from behind – no ball anywhere in sight... Another guy fouled one of the Law players and then kicked a ball smack at the back of his head while he was lying on the ground… Ordinarily I would run to Target during the second half of his game, but there was no way I was leaving him on Sunday. Honestly, I was a little worried punches were going to fly, and while I am not sure what I would do if someone hit my husband, I know I would not stay seated on the sidelines!

So that was the weekend. Thanks mom and poppy for coming to visit! All of our parents are welcome anytime!

1 comment:

Missy said...

Mmmmm...please send me that recipe for the tapenade!!