Friday, November 16, 2007

"They love me..." - Coach Mike



Mike has been teaching an undergrad beginner golf class this semester. I know this is somewhat surprising, especially for those of you who are familiar with his golfing abilities, but he saw it as a chance to get out on the range; something that would (hopefully) improve his own game while also contributing to the skill sets of his students.


The whole process has been really cute. Mike watches hours and hours of golf videos online - pointers on grip, swing, stance, etc. Then he takes these lessons out to the range with his kids. Scared he might shank a ball and lose all credibility, he uses other students to demonstrate the video "hints."


Last week he took his class out on the course for the first time. I think they only played 9 holes, but Mike said it was absolutely hilarious. One kid would spend 5 minutes teeing-up and taking practice swings. Then he'd finally go to hit the ball and miss it completely. (Kid, if you're reading this, I totally feel your pain.)


Anyway, the whole reason I am writing about golf 101 is because the kids were so excited to be out on the course that some brought cameras and wanted to take pictures with "Coach Mike." I got an email from him a couple days ago... All that the message said was "they love me" and these pics were attached.

No comments: