Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hello Houston, TX

The Bucy family has arrived in Houston. Mike got in last Monday; Addie and I followed suit Sunday afternoon.
Holy heatstroke this place is HOT!!! I have only made it 6 square blocks in mid-day heat so far… Weak, I know! That’s why an (indoor) gym membership was a must and the tunnel systems are great.

Mollie will be jealous – I drive by Joel Osteen’s church at least two times a day. Rumor is that he’s building a 25,000 sq. ft. house in a neighborhood called River Oaks, just around the corner... (He should connect with the Edwards family. Apparently domestic compounds are “in” thing, regardless of how politically or spiritually incorrect they may seem.)

We are staying with Mike’s brother and sister-in-law. Poor Courtney! The boys probably did a little scheming on both of us in order to orchestrate this whole cohabitation thing... I’m used to living out of a suitcase and in new environments. But Courtney is juggling a full time job, an almost 2-year old, a second child on the way, and playing host to a string of out-of-town guests all summer long (sometimes more than one set of visitors at a time). I wish I could bring her a bottle of wine every night. Unfortunately the whole preggers things throws a wrench in that option.

Random Houston facts:
- 4th most populous city in the US
- Has 2nd lowest cost of living out of all the major American cities
- Known for young population (apx. 40% under 24 and apx. 35% between the ages of 25 and 44). My guess is that the heat take a good number out, especially once they reach a certain age. Poor gramps.
- Known as the “eating out capital” of the US. Random tid-bit from my hubby but seems legit based on the ridiculous number of restaurants!
- No income tax. Too bad we can’t claim residency for a couple weeks.

2 comments:

Mollie Perez said...

by the way... I AM SOO JEALOUS! I want to see Joel Osteen! I love him! He has earned every bit of a 25,ooo sq. foot house. Do you know that he has never had one sip of alcohol? ha... Very interesting "houston facts" you should get gain and post some knowledge on G'vegas!

Unknown said...

Ooh. Random fact:

It's also twinned with the entire Grampian region of Scotland.

Och aye, lassie.