Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Grateful Perspective (from Romania)

The journey has officially begun. We are 21 strong and Frankfurt-bound, and already our girls look like a posse of professional travelers. Despite the fact that this is only the second plane many of them have ever been on (Greensboro to Philly being the first), they have been quick to adjust to the life of a jet-setter.

Of the girls I can see from my seat...

- Adrian is watching re-runs of Desperate Housewives on her seatback television screen
- Monisola has her hair wrapped in a scarf, her head propped on a pillow and seems to be enjoying a good book
- Samm and Briana are snoozing - both out like a light only minutes after boarding
- Audra is talking the ear off of the woman next to her
- Lorna, whom I cannot see but I can hear, is laughing out loud on occasion
- Lakeya is beaming with excitement as the "Lufa-ya-ya" (better known as Lufthansa) beverage cart inches close to her seat

From a leader perspective, I think I speak for all of us in expressing a deep sigh of relief. All of the girls made it to the airport (on time), we maneuvered them through check-in, past security and onto the Philly-bound plane.
Once in the Philadelphia airport, we watched in awe as they scarfed down enough MacDonalds and China Express (in tandem for many) to last them the entire two weeks we are gone.

Just knowing that their bellies are full, their minds are entertained and their spirits are happy, I can momentarily breathe easy. Day one is off to a beautiful start, and for that I am very grateful.

No comments: