Monday, May 21, 2007

Passport Hell

Ok, I am going to vent for a minute... I have been trying to get one of our GreenHouse kids a passport for the past month. Out first challenge came in getting an official copy of his birth certificate. I think we "almost" went to apply for the passport three different times... First time he forgot it. Second time he only had a copy. Third time his mom forgot to send the official one with him to school.

Anyway, we finally get the official birth certificate in-hand. I go and pick Donta up from school and we (yay) head to the passport agency. This time we make it all the way inside, we put our name on the list, and we take a seat (at the orders of the barking Passport Official on duty). We had been sitting there about five minutes. I kept looking at the birth certificate over and over, making sure it was really an official copy. I also kept re-reading his application to make sure everything looked correct... Then, just as I am getting really excited to have this whole affair over and done with, I ask Donta for his ID. "Uh, I didn't bring it."

$#!! - He didn't bring his ID. I truly could have screamed.

I look at my watch and it's 4:23... The passport office door says they are open until 6:00. At least we can run get the ID and make it back in time...

Or not, as we were walking out the door I sweetly lean over the counter and tell the Passport Official we will be right back; that he has forgotten his ID. She glares up at me and says, "I am not taking anyone after 4:30." I look at the door (which I will remind you says 6:00) and then back at her. She shakes her head and barks back "4:30."

So Donta is still passport-less. We are going to give it another go on Wednesday. Say a little prayer that we can get on the Passport Nazi's list!

No comments: