Thursday, September 13, 2007

Waffle Making 101

In my attempt to become a domestic diva I decided to wake up early and make Mike waffles. We were given a fancy-dancy waffle maker for our wedding, so I pulled out some Barefoot Contessa mix and the other necessary ingredients and thought how hard can this be...

Well, just in case you are ever in this same situation, there are two recipes on the back of Barefoot Contessa waffle mix. One is for waffles and the other is for PANCAKES. Of course I am not paying attention to the title (just focused on ingredients), nor have I ever made waffles, so I proceed to brew up some fantastic pancake mix and throw it in our waffle maker. Disaster! The thing split right up the middle when I opened the lid. The mix was "glued" to the waffle grates - top and bottom - which took forever to clean out. Worst part about it was I was racking my brain trying to figure out what I had done wrong... The only thing I could think of was that soy milk was not a good replacement for regular milk. So, yes, I do the exact same thing all over again, but this time with skim milk. Same disaster!!!

I was so incredibly frustrated at this point and close to calling William Sonoma and telling them I think we have a dud waffle maker when I happened to notice the word pancake on the back of Ms. Contessa's mix.

Pancake Ingredients: milk, egg, butter
Waffle Ingredients: water, egg

Arg! Martha would be so disappointed…

3 comments:

Missy said...

Practice makes perfect; it's hard to make something right the first time. Just think, next time you make waffles, you'll know they'll be good! And just as another tip...try using cooking spray on the grates. Good Luck! :)

The Ueltschey's said...

ha! that makes me laugh

Brae said...

Thanks for sharing your lessons, so we won't make pancakes when we mean to make waffles!