Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Lessons learned in two and a half days of marriage:

I have made the initial move to Charlottesville to be with my new husband. I got here around 7:00pm last night and my schedule of events once arriving looked like this.

7:15pm – Meet new husband at his old house and follow him to new house.
7:30pm – New husband is ready to “christen” new house.
8:00pm – New husband wants me to come watch him play basketball.
8:15pm – Arrive at gym but can’t get in. I go grocery shop. New husband plays ball.
9:15pm – Pick new husband up from ball and head to sandwich shop. New husband buys dinner.
9:45pm – Go hang out with “the boys,” consult about them on how to handle girls, talk about wedding, and watch 24. I fall asleep.
11:00pm – Head to new home with new husband, who requests a massage and more "christening." I laugh… lie down… and fall right asleep.

So my lessons learned in two and a half days of marriage.

New husbands like their new wives to enter “boy” world. While I actually had a lot of fun last night, I am looking forward to creating a schedule of my own.

New husbands like compliments on the new house they have found.. Our new house, which I have nicknamed “the box,” is in a “diverse” neighborhood but I’ll keep that between you and me. Other than the slightly sketchy surroundings it is absolutely perfect.

New husbands quickly succumb to letting you wake them in the morning, manage their laundry and fix their breakfasts. None of these tasks are things I really mind doing, but I am keeping a mental list that can be used on nights when I want a nice dinner and he wants to order Chinese.

New husbands like to play with their wedding rings. Mike’s ring must have made about 1000 rotations around his finger already. And when they are not playing with their new ring, they are asking silly questions about it like, “Do you think I should take it off when I play basketball? How about golf or baseball?” For some reason, none of these questions crossed my mind when I started wearing rings.

New husbands think the most important service to have in your new home is cable. I think Mike would be fine with no lights, no heat, and ESPN. For all that are interested, we should have cable in a couple days.

I will write more and send pictures tomorrow. I am loving married life and can’t wait for you to come visit me and my “new husband.”

3 comments:

Missy said...

Welcome to the world of being a wife! The best is yet to come though...creating a world and a life that is yours together, not just his and not just yours. Enjoy the adventures!!

Susan D. said...

Hi Ashlie - Your wedding was so beautiful & sweet. Charlie & I had a great time. Not sure what it is with the wedding band - Charlie's is still in momentum & we just hit the 15 month mark! Best of luck with getting settled and enjoying life as a newlywed!

Kate Thompson said...

hilarious. matt's flies off every once in a while- followed by a semi-glare. I try not to care because I know he's just not used to it and fidgets, but I would hate for it to fly off and not come back...but he only does it when hes talking to people he doesn't know very well now, so I think its becoming more natural for him. ash, you make me smile.