Wednesday, January 16, 2008

That Darn Freedom of Speech...

One of my dear friends sent me an email the other day asking for thoughts on a letter she had received stating that Barack Obama used the Koran (instead of the Bible) when he was sworn into the Senate. Now as most of you know, I am a fairly liberal gal. Still the idea of a United States President being sworn in with the Koran was disturbing to me. I had to investigate...

Quickly (and easily) I uncovered that every bit of the email was a hoax. Obama went to Catholic school, he grew up in a secular home, he is a committed Christian man who attends United Church of Christ in Chicago. He did not use the Koran when being sworn into office, he used a Bible. He says the Pledge of Allegiance (and has led the Pledge in the US Senate on numerous occasions).

Anyways, the reason I’m even writing about this is to comment on how scary it was to see an internet rumor reach so many people, so quickly. Above and beyond that, it was actually swaying voter minds! An educated, independent, and dear friend of mine sent this comment to our group “Fact is he chose to use the Koran to be sworn in. This is where you get into how important you think it is for the leader of our country to believe in the Bible.

YIK! Does this not scare the dickens out of anyone else?

So in light of this incident I’ve decided to come up with a way to help educate my friends on their options in the 2008 political arena. I need some educating too, so it will be good for all of us. If you’re interested, stay tuned. This could get interesting...

P.S. I promise I won’t turn this blog into a regurgitation of headline news. I also promise to be as politically neutral as humanly possible.

No comments: